The LORD has written in His Word the blessings He will bring upon those who listen to His voice through His Word, to observe and to do all He commands. He promises His blessings will come UPON them and OVERTAKE them. But for those who choose not to read God’s Word and be obedient unto Him, curses will be what comes upon them and overtakes them in their daily lives (Deuteronomy 28).
- Blessed will you be in the city, and in the field.
- Blessed will be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground.
- Blessed will be the fruit of your cattle, your oxen, and the flocks of your sheep.
- Blessed will be your basket and your store.
- Blessed will you be when you come in, and when you go out.
- Blessed will you be when your enemies are brought down.
- Blessed will be your storehouses.
- Blessed will be all you do.
- Blessed will be your land.
- Blessed will be the rain that falls on your land in season.
- Blessed will you be to lend and not to borrow.
“All these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, IF thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.” Deuteronomy 28:2
- Cursed you will be in the city, and in the field.
- Cursed will be your basket and your store.
- Cursed will be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your land.
- Cursed will be the increase of your cattle, and the flocks of your sheep.
- Cursed will be when you come in, and when you go out.
- Cursed, vexation and rebuke will come upon all that you do.
- Cursed with pestilence, consumption, fever, inflammation, and extreme burning.
- Cursed with the sword, blasting, and mildew.
- Cursed with heaven as brass and earth as iron under your feet.
- Cursed with rain as powder and dust coming down upon the land.
- Cursed with enemies smiting you.
- Cursed with diseases, madness, astonishment of heart.
- Cursed with children given to others.
- Cursed with others getting what you produce.
- Cursed with oppression.
- Cursed with sowing much seed, reaping little.
- Cursed with destruction of vineyard by worms.
- Cursed with children given to captivity.
- Cursed with trees and fruit eaten by locust.
- Cursed with being brought low.
- Cursed with having to borrow, and not lend.
“Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed: Because thou hearkened not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which He commanded thee… Because you served not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things.” Deuteronomy 28:45,47